BC Young Riders Program
A program for all BCEA members 25 years of age and under.
We're on Facebook!
BCEA Young Riders manages it’s own Facebook group. Please join this great group for exciting opportunities, support and encouragement! Young Riders initiatives run throughout the year!
Announcement: Save the Date! YR Camp 2023 – July 3-5 @ Chase Creek
BC Young Riders (BCYR) Program Details
NAYC + U25
25 yrs and under
We provide support and some funding, when available, for YR’s to compete at NAYC or other team competitions.
DEVELOPMENTAL YR PROGRAM
Open to any BCEA member, 25 and under, and to all levels
- Subsidies for spring series clinics, and special educational opportunities
- Cross country course walks @ all BC Events
- YR Socials YR Focus show and Awards
- Annual YR Summer Camp
- Annual YR fundraisers
- To help riders move up the levels with solid skills, confidence + safe practice in all 3 phases
- To foster leadership and independent thinking
- To develop team spirit and friendship
- To encourage and model sportsmanship
- To prepare Young Riders for team competition
- To assist all YR participants (competitors, grooms, coaches, support staff and parents) with the transition from National Horse Trials to the FEI levels of 3 Day Eventing
- To help Young Riders learn the importance of volunteerism and encourage them to volunteer
BCEA YOUNG RIDER OF DISTINCTION PERPETUAL TROPHY
DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF JORDAN McDONALD
1984 – 2014
“A YOUNG RIDER OF DISTINCTION AND VISION”
Donated and sponsored by BCEA and the BCEA Young Rider Program
2019 RECIPIENT - NICOLE KOVACIK
2018 RECIPIENT - ABBY MATHESON
2017 RECIPIENT - TOSCA HOLMES-SMITH
2016 RECIPIENT - MADELEINE SCOTT
2015 RECIPIENT - CARMEN HOLMES-SMITH
2014 RECIPIENT - OLIVIA YOUNG
Jordan, as a young rider, rode his first horse here in BC where he was also introduced to eventing and for several years both he and his wife Shandiss rode in many BC Horse Trials competitions while based at Sarah Bradley’s Unicorn Stables in Richmond.
This trophy will be awarded each year to the BCEA Young Rider who exemplifies sportsmanship and dedication to the sport of 3 Day Eventing and is an inspiration to all and a true “Young Rider of Distinction”.
Please click on this link to access a lovely website in memory of Jordan:
BCYR Summer Camp
Save the date!
Young Rider Camp July 3-5 2023 at Chase Creek
Check back later for details and forms.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How old do I have to be?
Program is open to all BCEA members 25 years of age and under. No minimum age.
- When is the registration period?
Open for registration all year long. However, you’ll get the most benefits registering between Jan-April each year.
- What is included in the registration fee?
Please see above for what our program includes.
- How can I register my child?
See BC Young Rider Membership for registration form.
Please contact us if you have any trouble with the registration form.
- How much are the registration fees?
Annual registration fees are $20.